Crystalline Silicon Photovoltaic Cells – United States International Trade Commission initiated global safeguard investigation
On May 23rd, 2017 International Trade Commission (“ITC”) initiated global safeguard investigation of imports of certain crystalline silicon photovoltaic cells (“CSPV cells”).
The investigation covers:
- CSPV cells (whether or not partially or fully assembled into other products) of a thickness equal to or greater than 20 micrometers, having a p/n junction formed by any means, whether or not the cells have undergone other processing, including, but not limited to, cleaning, etching, coating, and/or addition of materials (including, but not limited to, metallization and conductor patterns) to collect and forward the electricity that is generated by cells;
- Photovoltaic cells that contain silicon in addition to other photovoltaic materials. This includes, but is not limited to, passivated emitter rear contact (“PERC”) cells, heterojunction with intrinsic thin-layer (“HIT”) cells, and other so-called “hybrid” cells;
- Articles under consideration may be described as components for final finished products that are assembled after importation, including, but not limited to, modules, laminates, panels, and building-integrated materials.
The subject merchandises are categorized under HTSUS: 8541.40.6020; 8541.40.6030; 8501.61.00; 8507.20.80; 8501.31.80.
The investigation excludes:
- CSPV cells that were manufactured in the U.S;
- Thin film photovoltaic products produced from amorphous silicon (a-Si), cadmium telluride (CdTe), or copper indium gallium selenide (CIGS);
- Crystalline silicon photovoltaic cells, not exceeding 10,000mm2 in surface area, that are permanently integrated into a consumer good whose function is other than power generation and that consumes the electricity generated by the integrated crystalline silicon photovoltaic cell.
ITC issued Questionnaires for domestic producers, importers and foreign producers. The questionnaires will send via companies’ emails and must be returned by June 29 2017.
Next steps of the investigation:
|Return Questionnaires||June 29 2017|
|Prehearing Report||August 01 2017|
|Prehearing Briefs||August 08 2017 or September 27 2017 (extended)|
|Hearing||August 15 2017 9:30 am or October 03 2017 9:30am (extended)|
|Post hearing Briefs||August 22 2017 or October 10 2017 (extended)|
|Report to the Commission||September 11 2017 or October 23 2017 (extended)|
|Proposed Vote||September 22 2017 or October 31 2017 (extended)|
|End||November 13 2017|